Monday, July 25, 2011

A Montana Wedding

Back from Montana, y'all! 47 billion mosquito bites (and yes, I will continue to complain about this relentlessly everywhere I lurk on the internet until I stop itching), 4 states, 5 days, lots of new friends, and too much booze! And even some yarn! It was a wonderful trip, and I'm so grateful to have been able to be a part of Sean and Sharon Cowan's beautiful wedding. I have a few pics and a poem to share with you.

My boyfriend and I went to Montana because his very good friend from college was getting married, and Andrew was asked to do a reading in the ceremony! It was a big honor, especially when you consider the ceremony was all of 8 minutes long. He fretted over this for awhile; he initially wanted to write something original for the ceremony, and while I am sure it was wonderful and would have brought tears to my eyes (not hard to do), he decided to go with something already written, and picked out a lovely poem with a wonderful sentiment.

So, I looked up the poem to copy it over here, and found an interesting little back story. Apparently this "Roy Croft" fellow may not have existed at all, but may have been a pseudonym. The poem may have come from a German poem entitled "Ich Liebe Dich" ("I Love You"). Crazy! But I don't care, because when I watched my boyfriend speak this poem to his friends in their special day, I was moved to tears and my heart melted. You did a phenomenal job, Andrew, and it made me love you all the more to see how much your friends mean to you and how much you mean to them.

Love by Roy Croft (?)

I love you,
Not only for what you are,
But for what I am when I am with you.
I love you,
Not only for what you have made of yourself,
But for what you are making of me.

I love you for
the part of me that you bring out;
I love you for
putting your hand into my heaped-up heart
And passing over all the foolish, weak things
that you can't help dimly seeing there,
And for drawing out into the light
All the beautiful belongings
that no one else had looked
Quite far enough to find.

I love you because you
Are helping me to make
Of the lumber of my life
Not a tavern, but a temple;
Out of the works
Of my every day
Not a reproach
But a song.

I love you because you have done
More than any creed
Could have done
To make me good,
And more than any fate
Could have done
To make me happy.

You have done it
Without a touch,
Without a word,
Without a sign. 
You have done it by being yourself. 


Awwww!!!

Here are some pictures from the wedding.


The woods outside the cabin where we were camping. The ceremony took place at a lakeside cabin at Little Bitterroot Lake, in Marion, MT (near Kalispell).


Our new friend, Bertram Woofster. He is a poodle/lab mix, but his mom described him as more of a "pooderdor" than a "labradoodle." He is handsome, and neurotic, and wonderful. His family are my new friends, and they're pretty awesome, too. 


I wish I had taken a picture of the tents after it got dark. But it gets dark so late in Montana that by the time that happened, I was wayyyy too drunk to think of it. The wedding was beautiful. It was simple, but in no way cheap. It was lovely. I am an especial fan of the pinwheel decorations that the groom's mother made out of paper lunch sacks!


Here we are at the reception! Little did I know I was being eaten alive by mosquitoes the whole time. I love this picture of the two of us. 


Relief! Reading is over! Now we party!

Lakeside brunch on our way back to Spokane. 


Scenery!

More gorgeous scenery! Montana was breathtaking. 

Aaaaaaand, you know I can't end without some fibery goodness. I visited a lovely yarn shop in Kalispell called Camas Creek Yarns. I picked up some Noro Kureyon Sock in a super fun hot pink and black colorway. And outside the shop, they've been yarn bombed!!! Well, I suppose they did it themselves, but fun nonetheless, and an improvement over plain old metal rods. 


Oooh, and that's our rental car in the shot! We got upgraded to a sweet little brand new Ford Escape SUV. It was nice because we were able to drive other people to parties and stuff, which was advisable on those twisty mountain roads. Loved the car! 

In the end, it was a trip full of friends and love. I am so happy to have gotten acquainted with some of Andrew's not-LA friends, and to see the love that they have for him, and for each other. It was a wonderful trip, and I am so happy to have been part of the festivities. 

Go read some wedding poetry
Jillian

1 comment: